Senior Software Engineer adept at full-stack web application development, testing and optimization. Excels at database-driven application development, including coordinating ground-up planning, programming, and implementation for core modules.
Web technologies: Amazon EC2/AWS, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, HubSpot, jQuery, LAMP/WAMP stacks, Laravel, React.js, React Native, REST APIs
Database systems: IBM DB/2, MS SQL Server, MySQL/MariaDB, RedBeanPHP
System administration: Amazon EC2/AWS, IBM iSeries V7R1, Linux, VMware ESXi 5.5r2, Windows Server 2003-2012 R2
Full-stack and desktop/server development
- Performed extensive conversion of existing, legacy PHP web application to Laravel. Migrated inline SQL to use built-in Laravel database handling.
- Developed and released open source add-in for Visual Basic 6.0 to connect to the Code::Stats service.
- Built Python scripts running on AWS for synchronizing millions of client records between MS SQL Server and HubSpot.
- Built Python scripts on AWS Lambda to control execution state of EC2 server.
- Developed custom CV/resume feature in personal, Laravel-based site to dynamically build the page from database information. CSS coding designed to display usable view in any screen size. CSS also generates a traditionally styled resume printout when printing from a modern browser.
- Wrote custom WordPress plugin to show public source code repositories hosted on Bitbucket Cloud.
- Developed API to exchange data between Moodle and WordPress site for multinational education coursework delivery and tracking platform.
- Performed testing, custom implementations and module development in PHP-based CMS Enpowi.
- Implemented PayPal PayFlow Gateway and Authorize.net APIs for payment processing for multiple clients.
- Created custom OpenID gateway API for linking PHP-based Tikiwiki CMS to internal OpenID provider for Active Directory for large-scale financial enterprise client.
- Wrote Python scripts to parse customer database and send newsletters to chunks of customers at a time, as well as calling geocoding API to locate and save their congressional district.
- Built custom CGI application with IBM iSeries (AS/400) back-end for displaying near-real-time data analytics and time tracking for shipments for an automotive manufacturer.
- Developed cross-platform React Native application for Planets.nu in-game messaging.
- Developed multiple applications targeting Windows Phone 7/8.
- Designed and implemented SQL schemas for over 10 years on systems ranging from small websites using MySQL to corporate midrange systems using IBM DB/2 and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Involved in testing and streamlining queries and indices to troubleshoot and improve performance.
- Wrote custom SQL scripts to coalesce exported data into proper format for merging in with existing data on a different platform.
- Experienced in design and use of HubDB tables in custom HubSpot CRM modules.
Linux system administration
- Set up and maintained numerous servers and storage services on Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Provided server support for in-house LAMP servers and remote client systems on physical hardware.
- Performed complete management of VMware ESXi server and associated virtual machines.
- Created numerous shell scripts to automate and manage mission-critical system services and data backups.
Senior Software DeveloperJuly 2022 – present
L5E, LLC – Remote
President, Senior Software EngineerSeptember 2018 – present
Total Digital Consulting, LLC – Remote
Industrial - Marketing Systems SpecialistSeptember 2016 – September 2018
Belden Inc – Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
President, Senior Software EngineerDecember 2011 – September 2016
Total Digital Consulting, LLC – Remote
Information Systems - Programmer / Network AdministratorSeptember 2002 – December 2011
Heartland Automotive, LLC – Greencastle, Indiana, USA
Certifications and Education
Certifications and Education
Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) N5-levelDecember 2017
The Japan Foundation
Membership CertificateAugust 2017
International High IQ SocietyView
AWS Certified Cloud PractitionerJuly 2020 – July 2023
Amazon Web Services (AWS)View
Inbound CertificationApril 2018 – May 2020
Growth-Driven Design CertificationOctober 2016 – December 2018
Email Marketing CertificationSeptember 2016 – November 2018
Inbound Sales CertificationSeptember 2016 – November 2018
Google Tag Manager FundamentalsSeptember 2017 – September 2018
Google Analytics Individual QualificationOctober 2016 – May 2018
HubSpot Design CertificationMarch 2017 – May 2018
High School Diploma1999
Sysadmin of the Year 2009 (Finalist)November 2009
Portfolio (partial list)
Code::Stats Visual Basic 6.0 (VB6) Add-in
Developed custom plugin to integrate Visual Basic 6.0's Integrated Development Environment (IDE) with the Code::Stats API. Source code released as open source under MIT license. Listed as Code::Stats contributor at https://codestats.net/changes.
Luke G's Site (current version)
VFD Cable Selector Tool
Belden Newsletter Archive Site
(site no longer online) Built custom HubSpot HubL module for use in smart content pages to automatically pull in HubDB newsletter info records and sort them by date. Module was built to auto-detect the site visitor's language and display either English or German content accordingly.
WP Bitbucket Repos
Developed custom WordPress plugin to display a Bitbucket Cloud user's list of public repositories. Presents a widget which can be added to various locations within the site layout. Provides option to link site visitor over to the repository or not. Also displays time reference since last push to that repository.
Hudson Valley Used Tools & Equipment
(initial design and site layout) Responsible for initial site design and layout adjustments. Provided frontend and backend modifications to align with design modification requests. Set up Woocommerce and modified it heavily for displaying vendor-specific fields and data charts on products.
Mega Man Password Generator (VBDOS)
Password generator for select Mega Man games. This is written in VBDOS under Windows 3.11, because I wanted to eventually build this same application in all programming languages I know. Currently this project is on hold, but can be used in DOSBOX or on an actual 16-bit PC running MS-DOS.
Coffee Machine Code Generator
Code generator for a specific coffee machine at a former place of work. Coffee machine had 10-digit keypad, and displayed a 4-digit code on a screen when brewing a selection. I discovered that one could input the code for that beverage directly using the keypad and it would brew without having to use the normal beverage, strength, sweetener, and cream buttons. I reverse engineered the code generation and wrote this application for the company intranet, so that employees could figure out the 4-digit code that represented their beverage of choice. This was written in the early 2000's, and I have intentionally not modified the styling from how it appeared back then.
(original site no longer hosted) Provided initial set up and website hosting administration. Responsible for email account administration. Implemented designer’s requirements via CSS and PHP coding.
Assisted in development of experimental, two-way API for communicating hyperlink establishment and page history between multiple sites running on different servers. Worked on implementation of this API into Tikiwiki CMS.
Luke G's Site (first version)
Performed initial set up and site design. Responsible for all administration of site, disaster recovery protocol and implementation, database backend, email accounts, and other online service functions.
Total Digital Consulting, LLC
Performed initial set up and site design. Responsible for administration of site, email, and all related functions. Installed and configured billing software for online access for admin and customer use.
PDK Financial Solutions, LLC
Performed initial set up, site design, and hosting. Responsible for all administration of site, email accounts, and remote support of other online service functions. Handled all payment gateway programming.
Provided initial set up and website hosting administration. Responsible for email account administration. Provides remote support for all issues. Responsible for design and implementation of new site for release during the first quarter of 2012.
References and Reviews
References and reviews available upon request, or at the following links: